Questions For You
"To know and not to act is yet to know"
Yukio Mishima, The Sea of Tranquility
Personal Social Responsibility Readiness Survey
- Can you put your hand on your heart and say that none of the clothes you are wearing were made in a sweatshop?
- Do you consider your values and use social and environmental criteria when buying products and services from corporations?
- Is your superannunation in a 'screened' investment fund? and, are your other investments in socially and environmentally responsible corporations?
- Can you put your hand on your heart and say that the corporation you work for does business in an ethical and socially responsble manner?
- Do you buy organic and non-genetically modified produce?
Corporate Social Responsibility Readiness Survey
- Do you have an equal opportunity and diversity policy? Eg the proportion of women in senior executive positions, traineeships for underprivileged youth, employment of local people in area of operation.
- Do you have a system for profit sharing with employees? Eg bonus system, employee share scheme.
- Do you have a Corporate Values Statement and/or Code of Ethics ? If yes, is the code incorporated into performance reviews?
- Do you train staff and management in Values implementation and/or Ethical dilemma resolution?
- Do you survey customers on your corporate conduct?
- Do you have human/labour rights guidelines for your suppliers? eg no products produced in sweatshops
- Have any of your customers introduced social or environmental responsibilities that you have to fulfil as part of the contractual arrangement? (e.g. ISO14000 or no GMO)
- Do you have internal systems in place that track efficiency regarding the use of environmental resources in the production process? eg energy/water use per product unit, waste produced in offices If yes, are you working to actively increase resource efficiency?
- Do you have environmental guidelines for your suppliers?
- Do you measure the environmental impact associated with the use of your goods and services? If yes, are you actively working to reduce this impact?
- Do you believe your company should be involved in the community?
- Have you conducted a survey or forum with the local community in which you operate to gauge the impact of your operations on their lives?
- Do you make philanthropic contributions to community groups of either money, goods or services?
- Do you allow staff time to volunteer for community organisations? Eg schools, organisations that assist the elderly, homeless or disabled
- Are you engaged in commercial initiatives to assist the local community? Eg sponsorship, cause related marketing